Monday, April 12, 2010

Movie Response

I do agree with the theorists that suggest that Hitchcock was trying to create a mataphor with this film. It makes sense. When we watch a movie, especially in a theater, we are both figuratively and literally in the dark. In a literal sense, in a theater we actually sit in a dark room. In a figurative sense, we are "in the dark" in two ways. If we are seeing a movie for the first time, we are "in the dark" in regards to how the movie is going to play out, what the characters are going to do or say, and how the the movie is going to end. Also, as some theorists have suggested, we sit in the dark and watch the characters on the screen. It is obvious that the characters would not be able to see us, and that is the point. This symbolizes a sense of voyeurism. And in this sense, yes we are all voyeurs.
So yes, I will agree. I am a voyeur. And I don't really believe that there is anything wrong with a little voyeurism, as long as it is innocent, without any bad or perverted intentions of course! To me, voyeurism is a way to find out a little information of what is going on around you with out being detected or exposed. This could be a stretch, but it is possible to consider it a form of research. Hitchcock presented a great example with his film to support this idea. It's not everyday that you witness a murder in your neighborhood, bit there are everyday activities that go on within your neighbor that can give insight to the type of people that live around you. Personally, I think, to a certain extent, it is ok to notice what is going on around you or the type of you live around. For parents, a little voyeurism might help them gather enough information to ensure that their kids are safe roaming the neighborhood. Following along with that idea, voyeurism could potentially help anyone in gathering enough information to ensure their own safety and well-being. Voyeurism doesn't necessarily have to mean prying into the life of others, but simply being alert to the world around you.
So, in response to the statement, I don't mind admitting that I am a voyeur. I do not have any bad intentions, but I will admit that when I'm out, I do look around me, or "people watch". I am not embarassed, because I never look so far in depth into other peoples' lives to be considered perverted, nosy, or creepy (unless I detect that something seriously wrong is going on). In some ways, voyeurism can make things safer, as well as more interesting. And there isn't anything wrong with that!

1 comment:

  1. innocent voyeurism... interesting comment. not many people would classify it as innocent.
    -evelyn davis, professor

    ReplyDelete