Thursday, May 6, 2010

Blog Assignment 4

Stuart Ewen's- Commodity Self - we are the product of products.
This theory suggests that we create our identity through the products we buy. So, in other words, we choose certain brands or styles with the idea that they will capture the essence of our personalities. This theory suggests that on an everyday basis we are being watched or judged on some sort of level by the people that surround us. If no one looked at us, or cared, then there wouldn't really be any reason to care about our appearance, right?

I agree and disagree with Ewen's theory. I'd like to think that there is something unique about me, whether it be my physical appearance, my personality, or my style. I wouldn't consider myself to be vain, but I do like to be regarded as an individual. However, having said this, when I set out to purchase anything, I do not base my decisions on the idea that whatever I buy will make me appear unique. I buy what I like. Brands and styles don't make a difference to me. I own a collection of different, contradicting brands. I mean, what do brands really say about our personalities?
I drive a Honda Civic.
My favorite drink is Diet Dr. Pepper.
I smoke Kools.
I wear Hollister jeans and Hollister perfume.
I use Chapstick Brand chapstick.
I wear mostly shrift store shirts, or t-shirts I steal from my best friend's little brother.
I own one pair of shoes currently, which are Sketchers.
I have a Dell laptop (it's yellow, if you're wondering).
I use Bed Head pomade, Aussie hairspray, Tresseme shampoo/conditioner
Would anyone really be able to conclude anyhting about my personality from this list? Probably not, my style is somewhat ecclectic. I'm not really partial to any specific brand, except for Kools and Honda. But, in regards to apparell I'm not really too picky. But, I know some people are more loyal to certain brands then I am. Also, I am aware that certain brands do come with a set of associations. Some brands are associated with the idea of money and high status. Some are associated with the idea of practicality. Others are associated with the idea of comfort. The list could go on and on.
What I don't like about this theory is the fact that it is derived from the idea of labeling. By labeling someone, you are essentially making an assumption about something as complex as a human personality based on something as simple as a clothing brand. Of course, this is a pretty extreme statement. I know that the majority of people don't think in this way. However, there are people out there that do think this way. I can't tell you how many times I've been misinterpreted or "mis-labeled". My best friend and I laugh about this now, but in high school I was always seen as the steotypical rock/party girl- sex, drugs, and rock & roll, the whole package. Some people thought it was cool, other people were pretty disgusted by it. The reality is that I never was any of these things. I'm a pretty "play by the rules" type of girl. However, from these assumptions people made, I was treated a certain way. I was either excluded or discredited, or I was immediately roped into uncomfortable situations that people just assumed that I could relate to. It's probably pretty clear that I still have somewhat of a complex about this. But honestly, the concept is really distrubing to me. It's not fair to some. Also, it creates a power struggle of sorts.
So, Ewen's theory is both true and untrue, depending on who you ask. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I'm a product of products. I'd like to think that I'm not what I wear or buy. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that personally, I don't want to be judged by the type of products I use. For me it's not about what you buy, but rather what you do.

1 comment:

  1. Labeling is about assumptions - you are right. We are very complex creatures. It is impossibly for one person to fit a particular set of standards. Good job! - evelyn davis, professor

    ReplyDelete